|In colonial times, the
letter “s” was often printed as an “F” (look at “Goshen”)
|A. The colonial government
awarded land grants, or patents.
| Local Warwick land grants were:
|•Samuel Staats, who built a house here in 1700 (possibly the oldest
standing house in Orange County), on the grounds of what is now Applewood
Orchard off Four Corners Rd. See http://www.applewoodorchardsandwinery.com/History.htm
|•Cheesecocks Patent in 1702, covered some sections of Warwick,
primarily in eastern part of town.
|•Wawayanda Patent in 1703 (this is the Patent signed by Benjamin Aske
and Warwick’s local chief, Chuckhass)
|B. The ill-defined
boundaries of sometimes overlapping patents resulted in many lawsuits, the
most well know of which is the Wawayanda & Cheescocks Patent Dispute,
whose opposing lawyers were Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr. The case was argued at Yelverton’s Inn, in
Chester in 1785.
|C. Stories of daily life
found in “Under Old Roof Trees” (see extract handout).
|D. The strategic target in
Warwick that seems to have been prominent in the minds of the British was the
Sterling Iron Works.