||Early in Jan., 1778, John
Sloss Hobart, Henry Wisner, John Hathorn, and Zeph. Platt, delegated for that
purpose by the State Congress, Generals Putnam and George Clinton, the Lieut.
Col. of Engineers, Capt. Machin, and several other military gentlemen, met at
Poughkeepsie, to consult about fortifying and obstructing the Hudson; and the
works located at and near West Point, were placed there in accordance with
their views. Generals Schuyler, Lee, Sterling, and a few other officers, were
also consulted on some occasions, about fortifying the river.