Early Days in
Some Chapters in Local History
By W. B. Sayer
in the Warwick Advertiser March 31-
Published on the web with permission of the Warwick Advertiser in January 2003
Corrections and notes by Florence Tate & S. Gardner
~Electronic edition rights reserved by the transcriber~
~ No duplication for distribution whether electronic or printed format except for individual use
without consent of the transcriber and the Warwick Advertiser~
Please bear in mind that this manuscript was written more than 100 years ago.
Since then information it contains may have been subject to change or correction.
We have added notes in italic in such cases that we are aware of.
We welcome input from anyone who can locate the properties mentioned in the present day
Queen Anne, of England, on April 29th, 1703, granted a patent to Dr. John Bridges, Hendrick Ten Eyck, Derick Vandenberg, John Cholwell, Christopher Denn, Lancaster Syms, Daniel Honan, Philip Rockby, John Merritt, Benjamin Aske, Peter Mathews and Cornelius Christianse, who resided in New York city, of a tract of land supposed to contain about 60,000 acres, but it really contained much more land, and was called the Wawayanda Patent. Previous to this on March 5th, 1703, the above mentioned white men had received a deed for this tract from twelve Indians—Rapingonick, Wawastawa, Moghopuck, Cornelawaw, Nanawitt, Arawinack, Rombout, Claus, Chouckhass, Chigapaw, Oshasquememus and Quilapaw, for a quite rent of 9 pounds New York money.
The division of the Wawayanda patent
it appears was made on
Nearly the whole country was then an
unbroken wilderness, inhabited by Indians and wild beasts only. After the division it is natural to suppose
that the different claimants would vie with each other in order to effect a
settlement of his particular portion.
But we find no record of any settlement in
The name of Stagg has been changed to Stage, and but few of the descendants are known now to be in this part of the county.
On May 20th, 1721, Aske sold to Thomas Blain one hundred acres of his farm, which is described as lying in Warwick, so it seems Aske had given his part of the patent the name of Warwick, for what reason is not known; probably he or his parents were natives of Warwickshire, England.
The main street, it appears by
common consent of the settlers, was called
John Vance must have come shortly
after this. He purchased a lot adjoining
the lands where Victor A. Wilder now owns, on the north, reaching across the
Wawayanda creek to the road leading from
There is no record of any other
settlers (except Staats)
until the year 1746, when two brothers, Daniel and Benjamin Burt came from
It is probably that these brothers bought out the improvements that were made by the families who first settled on the premises, and they removed to other parts, for it is known that Lawrence Decker, or one bearing that name, lived and died near where George M. VanDuzer now lives.
In about 1750 the friends of the two
Burt brothers in
By this time a number of families
had come and the country began to improve.
The Sayers and Wheelers came about this time from
Elder James Benedict, who was the great-grandfather of Captain James W. Benedict built a house on the opposite side of the road from where John McKeever’s house now stands, and was the first minister in this section. The meetings were at first held at private houses until 1774, when the first meeting house was erected in the field given by him, on the corner of the roads opposite the present Catholic cemetery, and a burying ground laid out around it where he and his two wives and a large number of other people lie buried, with no stones to mark their graves.
came about his time, settled near
and Wisners came also about this time, and several
Dutch families from what is now
Some time between 1760 and 1770 John
Hathorn came here from
David McCamley settled about 1760 on the farm now owned by Mrs. Sarah B. Sanford, and built the mill there.
located where Wm. F. Wheeler now lives on the road leading from
During the first settlement of the county there was a settlement of Indians near the large spring on what is now the Col Andrew Houston farm, also one on Thomas Welling’s farm called Mistucky, from which our village water derives its name. Near the center of said Welling’s meadow, there formerly stood a number of large apple trees known as the Indian apple orchard, and on one of those hills near by there was an Indian burying ground (When the development around Southern Lane was put in, an unknown number of gravesites were found and destroyed, some of them under the roadway itself. Photos of the gravesites were in the collection of Jack Webster and seen by the transcriber before fire consumed his store in Nov. 2001—sg)
In about 1781 there were five Indian wigwams east of where Wilson W. Van Duzer’s house now stands.
In the early settlement of this county there was said to have been a block house, built strong for defense against the Indians near the present Wawayanda House (Colonial Ave at corner of Forester Ave, see 1875 Beers Atlas map of Village –sg)
Before the hill by the Wawayanda House was graded down there was a hollow between that house and the old shingle house where the patriots toasted an ox upon the news of Burgoyne’s surrender during the Revolutionary war, in 1777.
There was a slave burying ground in the field north of the house where Thomas Welling, Jr. now lives and near Mrs. Alexander Galloway’s line fence, on a gravelly hill.
The first settler in the
William Wisner lived where “The
Hotel Welling” now is, owned at present by William W. Van Duzer
(Building gone, present site of
John Smith came not far from this
time and built a house just north of the double house belonging to Mrs. Grinnell
Burt, at the corner of
When this section of the country was first settled there was a large amount of chills and fever in the valley, caused by the water standing on the low grounds along the creek, which was then nearly all swamp land filled with fallen and decaying tress. Since these lands have been cleared and drained this valley has been one of the healthiest places in the County.
Israel Wood, only son of Israel Wood, Earl of
These first settlers as a rule built rude log cabins, in the construction of which no iron was used, everything being pinned together with wooden pins. These, as the country became settled, were demolished and houses built of stone or wood in their place.
A great many of the early settlements were made on the mountains and the hills because of the condition of the valley, as mentioned in the former chapter, among them being that made by Ezra Sanford, grandfather of Geo. W. and P.E. Sanford, before the Revolutionary war, who owned a farm and had a dam across the Mistucky brook, the remains of which are still visible a short distance below the residence of Samuel Raynor, and ran a grist mill, potash works, and blacksmith shop and general store there. He used to take grain, flour, potash, etc. over to Sterling Iron Works on horseback, as there were few roads where a wagon could be used then, and bring back long, flat bars of iron in payment, which he bent at one end over the horses’ back, then run the other end along their necks and tied them to keep them from being torn off by the brush in coming over the mountains. There were a great many other early settlements on the mountains, some of which have been abandoned and others occupied up to the present day.
In 1772 James Benedict, son of Elder James Benedict, built a log house on the opposite side of the road from where Wilson W. Van Duzer’s barn now stands, near an old well still visible. This house was destroyed by fire with all its contents, while he was visiting at his father’s. He rebuilt on the same site, but in 1781 erected the stone house now occupied by his grandson, Captain James W. Benedict. He also erected the stone house now owned by Mrs. Benjamin D. Bradner, in 1794, for his son Capt. James Benedict, who was the father of Henry A. Benedict. In 1804 or 1805 some wolves came in the night and killed some sheep for Mr. Benedict in the orchard west of this house.
The Waywayanda Hotel, as before remarked, was built at an early date. Thomas Geraghty bought it of Daniel Burt and run a hotel there before 1785. He owned about fifty acres of land, and his cowyard was east of the building. This is the hotel that was made famous by the writings of Henry William Herbert (Frank Forester), who wrote about it, when it was kept by Thomas Ward in about 1880, in his book called “Warwick Woodlands.”
The stone house that formerly stood where the large frame house now stands that belongs to Mrs. Martha Bradner, was built by Elder Thomas Montanye probably in about 1785 to 1790.
who was the grandfather of Cornelius H. Demerest,
deceased, late president of Warwick National Bank, came to
Abram Dolson settled on the farm now owned by J.E.V. Miller, probably during the Revolution, as in 1794 he was granted a license to keep a hotel. The house on this farm was very old; the part used as a hotel formerly stood across the road in the corner of the meadow, but was afterwards removed to its present location.
Conrad Sly, who was the great-grandfather of John. W. and T. Ed. Sly, bought part of the farm now owned by them in about 1780, and lived in a log house near a spring southeast of the present house. The ruins of an Indian hut stood near by.
The farm now owned by Joel H. Crissey was purchased by his grandfather, David Forshee, in 1834, of Henry Wisner, who built the house still standing, in 1791. David Forshee kept a store for several years in a small building which stood on the opposite side of the road from where the house stands. The farm, until recently occupied by Charles R. Van Duzer, was purchased by Christopher Van Duzer (who was the great-grandfather of George M. Van Duzer, the present occupant), of Mrs. Elizabeth Raynor, in 1807.
The branch of the Sayer family from which the Sayers in this section
descended, came from
who lived on the farm now owned by Wm. F. Wheeler, raised the frame of the old
barn on the hill by the old Wheeler house, on
The Newberry homestead was a tract of land east of Wickham Pond, probably including the Miss Colwell, David Sayer, and other farms.
The stone house now occupied by Mrs. John G. Benedict is a double hone, the western half built in about 1740, probably by Mr. Burrows, and the eastern half built about 1804 by Joseph Burrows. It was occupied during the Revolutionary war by Joseph Burrows.
The stone house that formerly stood where the large brick house now stands thate belongs to Jesse Durland, was built by Col. John Wisner before the Revolution, and occupied by him during that war. The storehouse now owned by the daughters of Foster Clarke, deceased, was built by Gen. Wm. Wickham in about 1764. The stone house now owned by W.W. Buckbee was built by Wm. Henry Wisner’s grandfather before the Revolutionary War. The stone house now owned by Clarence St. Poppino, was built by a man of the name of Horton shortly after the Revolutionary War.
In the early settlement, before the
railroads came, when the stores ran short of goods in the winter time, people
were compelled to take an overland trip in sleighs to
Gen. John Hathorn, about the time of the Revolution, owned and operated a forge for making iron on the farm now owned by the heirs of Edward Davis.
There was an
The sketch below is copied from Henry Pelton’s history of
There are none of the people living now who were living at that time at the different locations, most of which are occupied now (1898) or have been replaced by new buildings.
To begin with the
Next was a new house built by
This house, situated on corner of Main-st and
The next house belonged to Daniel Wood, and is now owned by Washington Wood, his grandson. The next house was Crines Bertholf’s; it now belongs to Wm F. Dunning. Next was Joseph Burrows, in the stone house now owned by Mrs. John G. Benedict, and on the south where Jesse Durland now lives, was Col. John Wisner’s residence; he lived in a stone house situated on the site of the present brick house. Father on toward Sugar Loaf was Josiah Feagles, who lived off from the road where Ruggles Holbert now lives. Next was John Feagles, where Jesse Holbert now lives, and down at the head of Wickham’s Pond was Herman D. Clark [in 1805] where now the Misses Clark now live
We will now come back and start from the Wawayanda Hotel, and take the road toward Bellvale. The first we come to is Captain Garret Post, in the old shingle home now belonging to Mrs. S. A. F. Servin [Shingle House museum, Forester Ave.—sg]
Next Richard Welling, Sr., near where Mrs. Ruth Garrison now lives, corner of High and Lake-sts. Next was the old Baptist meeting house, situate on the corner of the road opposite where the Catholic cemetery now is. James Burt, Esq., was about forty rods east, where his granddaughter Mrs. A. B. Martine now owns.
Now we go back and take the road
around Chuck’s Hill. John Wood lived in
a house situated on the opposite side of the road from the house now owned by
West of him lived Richard Welling, Jr., son of John Welling, on the
farm, now owned by Mrs. Alexander Galloway.
Next around the corner John Welling lived, who carried on a still;
buildings now torn down. Next, not far
from there, on the south or east side of the street lived Aunt Milly Everett as she was called; building now torn
down. No more houses till we came to
John Magee’s, where Mrs. Theodore Ball now lives. Further on around the hill was Kinner House. John
Palmer came there the following spring; this is the farm now owned by Elihu B. Taylor. On
the opposite side of the road was Mr. Blauvelt, a son-in-law of Kinner House; this dwelling was demolished. Next was John Vandervort,
where John Vandervort, his grandson, now lives. Next, on the corner of the Bellvale road,
lived Mr. Shaler, a weaver; house torn down. Then going toward Bellvale was Daniel Sayer, in the stone house where his great-grandson Benjamin
B. Sayer how lives.
On te opposite side
of the road were the two Forshee brothers, where Mrs.
George W. Sayer and Thomas M. Benedict now
lives. Crines Bertholf came the following spring and one of the Forshee brothers left.
Next was Joel Wheeler, who lived in the old hipped-roof house at the top
of the hill, as the large house now occupied by Wm. F. Wheeler was not then
built; and further on some tenant houses belonging to said Joel Wheeler. Then over the hill on the corner where
Captain John W. Houston now lives, was John Robinson, who carried on a
blacksmith shop for many years. Then as
we turned north, there lived Captain Wm Minthorn, son
of Captain John Minthorn of Revolutionary memory;
buildings are demolished. Father north was Nathaniel Minthorn,
where Joseph B. Van Duzer now lives. Then were the heirs of Calvin Bradner,
deceased, living in a stone house which stood on the site of the present house,
where Henry A. Benedict now lives; also the heirs of Wm. Wisner, in a stone
house now owned by Wm. W. Buckbee. Next was Andrew Houston, father of Col.
Wisner Houston, now owned by Frank H. Campbell. Now we come to the main road leading from
We will now return and start from
the MainSt bridge,
Farther on a few rods from where the road intersects the one that comes from Florida by the way of the Armstrong neighborhood, there stood a stone school house opposite where the present school house stands, and on the Green farm that Frank H. Campbell now owns, Gilbert Wheeler lived. He traded the same season with his brother John for the farm now owned by Frank H. Campbell and J. C. Wilson. The old house on this farm together with a small parcel of land, now belong to the heirs of Mrs. Martha Guion.
Now we come to the bridge where Isaac Halstead, the miller lived, in front of the house now owned by John Pelton. Next was John Wheeler, Esq., with several buildings around him including grist mill, saw mill and fulling mill; he also carried on the tanning business. This farm now belongs to Mrs. Sarah B. Sanford and the mills have all been torn down except the grist mill. Further down the stream lived William C. Baird, who also owned a mill where Mrs. Samuel Baird now owns and runs a mill. Next we find Samuel Denton, Sr., on the farm now owned by Geo. W. Sanford. Then down the hill at the bridge there was a grist mill, saw mill, and fulling mill owned by a man of the name of Shoemaker; the fulling mill is now gone and the property belongs to Mrs. Louise Frech. Then there were no other buildings till you come to where the north and south roads leading from Warwick to New Milford intersect each other, where David C. Demerest then lived, now occupied by Wm. C. Vandervort.
In what is now the
Now we return and take the south
road leading toward the
Farther on east we come to a cross
road leading toward what was then Wheeler’s mill, on which lived Captain Thomas
DeKay, on the farm now owned by Sidney H.
Sanford. Near where this cross road
joined the main road there is a spring known as Washington spring, and a few
rods from where this cross road joins the main road, on said main road, stands
a large elm tree, now going to decay, under the branches of which General
George Washington is said to have stopped with his aids to rest on his journey
from Newburgh to Morristown, N. J. This
tree is known as
Farther east there was John Blain, commonly called “Uncle Johnny;” his house stood near the old barns on the farm now owned by Milton L. Sanford, on the opposite side of the road from where a large black walnut tree now stands. Next was the heirs of Wm. Blain, now deceased, where Milton L. Sanford now lives. Father on there was Belden Burt, Sr., where Victor A. Wilder now lives. Next was General John Hathorn in the house where Pierson E. Sanford now lives. North of him on the hill was James Alcock; Jacob and Wm. B. Bradner now lives there, and still further north across the fields (for there was no road at this time), in a house that stood not far from the Wawayanda Creek, lived John Pelton, who came that spring from Darien, Conn. This farm now belongs to W.W. and Richard Pelton.
Again we start from Hathorns, east, finding Jeremiah Morehouse
in a house now owned by Edward B. Sanford, and next, Thomas Welling, the second
of the name, where now Thomas Welling, the sixth of that name lives. There was no other building from there to the
Main-st bridge, except the old school house that
stood a few rods north from where the house now occupied by the superintendent
of the Warwick cemetery now stands. Now
we have gotten around to the village once more, and to complete our survey, we
will start again from where Mrs. John Cowdrey now
lives, and go northwest. The first
building we find was the old Reformed church building, which was built in 1773
or 1774. It stood near the site of the
present stone church building and next to an old school house, which stood
southwest of where J. Harley Wood’s house now stands and where his lawn now is,
said small house was demolished by him when he erected his present home. The house was then owned and occupied by Dr. Elisha Dubois, and nearly opposite it, where the Old School
Baptist parsonage now is, was the residence
John M. Fought, and his son-in-law, Daniel Burt, who carried on a distillery
where T. P. Fowler’s pond is, and lived near where the present parsonage of the
Reformed church now stands. Next was Ananias Rogers, where Dr. Wm. B. Bradner now owns. He sold out the same spring to Silvanus Fancer, from
To start again from
Now if we go back and take the west
The road from
In the early settlement of
The farmers used to keep some sheep, whose wool, after being washed and carded, was spun into yarn on large spinning wheels, and was then knit by hand into mittens, stockings, etc. This yarn was also manufactured into cloth on hand looms at their homes, and was called home-spun cloth. It was very strong and wore a long time.
The farmers used to kill cattle,
hogs, etc. in the fall of the year, and salt down and smoke enough meat to last
them the whole year, with an occasional calf or lamb killed and used
fresh. The farmers in a neighborhood
would each kill a calf or lamb in succession and each divide with the
neighbors. This was the only way they
could have fresh meat, as there were no butcher shops, and as the city of
Everything that could be was
produced on the farm or in the neighborhood.
As there were no railroads, everything had to be shipped by boats, where
there were canals and rivers, and where there were none they had to be carted
by horses or oxen. The boats being
sailboats it sometimes took three days to go from
In “ye olden time” instead of having afternoon teas, etc., as the ladies now have, they used to have spinning frolics, where each lady invited brought her spinning wheel and spun a certain amount of flax into thread, after which the young men came and they had supper and a dance. Then the men escorted the ladies and their spinning wheels home. On winter evenings the family used to gather around the large, old-fashioned fireplace, with its blazing fire of logs. The fireplaces were so large that the children used to sit on the ends of the backlogs and look up the flue of the chimney and see the stars in the sky. The fire gave so much light that the people did not often light their tallow candles, which were the only other lights they had to use, but worked by the light of the fire.
Grist mills were few and far between and the people used to take their grain long distances to have it ground into flour, and some were so far away they had to grind it at home in a hand mortar, which made very coarse flour.
The village was all located on the
north side of the creed till after the railroad came, and the stores, houses,
hotels and shops wre as follows—starting with the
property now owned by W. B. Sayer. The stone house on this property was a public
inn for about 60 years. Mention is made
of it by Marquis De Chastellux, in his travels in
On his same property there was a lime kiln on the south side of the hill where the road is being cut through, near the stone quarry, and east of the brook was a tan yard run by John Baird. The house originally had a 1 ½ story frame addition on the south end; this was the kitchen and contained a large open fireplace with a stone backlog and old-fashioned brick oven. On the north was another frame addition, which was used as a tin shop, harness shop, tailor shop, and photograph gallery at different times by different men. Then there was a large store building between that and where Mrs. John Cowdrey’s house now stands. This was run as a general store for a great many years. The first man who kept store there, that we know of, was Edmund Raymond; afterward Dr. John I. Wheeler, who lived in a house where Mrs. John Cowdrey’s house now stands, then in recent years, John Cowdrey, afterwards W.E. Sayer and A.D. Hynard. It was torn down in 1865.
The house where Mrs. Robert DeKay now lives was built in 1808, by James Hoyt, who was a shoemaker and had a shop where the driveway is at present, that goes to the barn on this place. Where J.C. Wilson’s house now stands, was his cow yard. In about 1810 James Hoyt sold to Wm. Culver, the lot where Misses Mary and Jane Burt’s house now stands, and he built a small house there, which was demolished when the present house was erected.
The house where Thomas Burt now live was built by James Hoyt, in about 1848, after he sold his other house to Dr. Beever. The lot where Grinnell Burt’s stone house now stands was used as a place for circuses to exhibit for a great many years. In 1816 Abram Genung, a saddler and harness maker, lived in the old house recently demolished that stood where Judge John J. Beatties lawn now is. In 1865 the land where J. Amherst Wisner and Frank Dunning’s summer homes are, was all farm land. In 1835 Henry Johnson run a distillery near where T. P. Fowler’s pond now is and lived near by.
Dr. Hopkins in 1816 lived in an old house which stood near the site of the present Old School Baptist parsonage. The old reformed Church building, which was begun in 1773 or 1774, was roofed and enclosed, then left without doors or windows until after the Revolutionary war, which it was completed. It was a square building with a hipped roof and foundations so open that the village sheep lodged under it; in the playful language of the day is was tyled “the Lord’s barn.” This was torn down and in 1811. This was torn down and in 1811 Wm. Culver started to build a new building which he completed in 1812. This was more pretentious than the former one and was used until 1847, when another new building was put up by Wm. Walton Brook, which he completed in 1846. This building was used until the present stone building was completed in 1889.
James Bradner built the house
belonging to Mrs. Grinnell Burts, corner of
When Thomas Ward, who was only about
five feet high but so fat that he had to sit on two chairs, kept the hotel
which is now the “Wawayanda Hotel,” the road was higher in front so there were
only eight steps from the road up to the bar-room, which ws
in what is now the second story. His
grandson is now the jolly host the “The Demerest” on
The house where John L. Finch now
lives was built by John W. Smith. He
also built the brick house, in about 1830, where Mrs. S.A.F. Servin now lives, on
the following houses were situated: The
one belonging to Youngs Davis was built and run as a
hat shop by Morris and Fought Burt. Oscar
Welling ran a hat shop in the house now owned by Mrs. Wm. H. Corris. The church
now owned by the Catholics was built by the Methodists in 1842, and used by
them until they built their present church.
The house now occupied by Mrs. Wm. . Hoyt was
built by Morris and Fought Burt. The
house until recently owned by Thomas Nesbitt was built for a copper shop by
john Case. The next house west ws built and run a satin shop by Thomas Edsall. The barker house, corner
In regard to the post-office it undoubtedly dates back to the early mail arrangements following the Revolution and the establishment of the United States Government. Before the railroad ran here the mail was carried across the country on horseback and later by state coach. Early in this century Dr. Benjamin S. Hoyt was postmaster for many years. He is supposed to have been succeeded by Nathaniel Jones for a considerable time prior to 183 or 1836, when Milton McEwen held the office almost continually to 1861.
The following houses were on High-st: James Hine’s house, corner of
Lake-st., was a weaver’s shop, moved there by Wm.
Hoyt. The house now belonging to Mrs.
Jesse Wood was occupied by Jacob Welch in 1827.
The Old School Baptist meeting house was erected in 1810. Benjamin Sayer who died in 1874, said the first work he did
for wages was to hew timber for this building, working from daylight until
dark, for fifty cents per day. The
corner of the church lot southwest from said church building, on application of
Capt. George Morehouse
building for Warwick Institute, which was removed when the present brick
building was completed, was built in 1853, and owned by a stock company
composed of the leading citizens of Warwick and vicinity, who ran it as a private
school until 1868, when it was transferred to the Board of Education of Union
Free School District No. 12, and has been kept as a public school ever since
that time. There used to be a school
house north of the Reformed Church; this was torn down, and another, on
Now we will start at the Main-st bridge on the east side of the street and come north. First there was a dam and mill; next Daniel Dikeman has a hat shop, near where S. S. Van Saun’s drug store now is; there was a distillery near where the First National Bank now stands, before 1800, owned by Zachariah Ketchum. Near by, at a later date, was a furniture factory run by J. Foster. Joseph Roe built the building now owned by Thomas Burt in about 1830. Next were the sheds of the “Orange Hotel,” where W. T. Anderson & Co. now have their brick store. The south end of the store building now owned by Wm. W. Van Duzer was built as a general store before 1829. In 1818 Vincent Van Duzer built a house and cabinet maker’s shop where Mrs. Martha S. Crissey’s stores how stand. The house now owned by the Young Men’s Christina Association was erected about 1810 by Daniel Olmstead. The old house that was torn down where Miss Julia Reed’s house now stands, was built as a pain shop by Wm. and James Robertson. The house now owned by rs. Frank Geraghty were built by Mr. Barker for stores, but were afterward used as houses. Joseph Roe built the house now owned by Jeremiah M. Morehouse, in about 1827; he kept a store in a building where Dr. Wm B. Bradner’s house now stands. In this store building John McKee run a hat shop and Lucias A. Waters afterwards kept a tin shop there. The house now owned by Mrs. Harriet Cary is supposed to have been built by Garret Post (possibly the present site of the Albert Wisner Library); Joseph Roe bought it in 1846. The store that stood where the present driveway is was built by Samuel Youmans, who kept a harness maker’s shop there. Joseph Roe afterwards kept a general country store there. The next house, now owned by F. C. and Frank Cary (if this is the Dr. Cary house, it was where the post office now is) is also supposed to have been built by Garret Post; it was a millinery store at one time kept by Miss Ruth Holly. The house now owned by Azuba Reymund was built by Peter D. Demerest, and Philetus W. Demerest run a tailor shop there. Afterwards Gilion Demerest had a shoe maker’s shop there.
Then starting back down along on the
opposite side of Main-st, south of the stone house
now owned by W. B. Sayer, first there was a store
standing where Mrs. Annie W. White’s driveway now is, then the house built by
Benjamin Barney or the corner; the where the Warwick Opera House Co., building
now stands stood a tailor shop, run in 1828 by John B. Randolph; then there was
a small house in the corner of Samuel Sliker’s lawn,
occupied by Sarah B. Randolph. Wm. B.
Welling, a stage driver, built the house now owned by Samuel Sliker. Dr. Horton
lived where Mrs.Mary E. Taylor now lives, in about
1832. A man by the name of Finn is
supposed to have built the house now owned by Mrs. Phebe
Mr. Cameron lived in a house where the
On West-st, at an early date, the first house was a long low house on the site where the presetd house stands now occupied by the heirs of James Hunter, deceased. The next house was the one now owned by Mss Ann E. Sayer; the next aws an old house situated on the lot in front of where Mrs. Martha A. Atkinson now lives. Joel Clark, in 1834, sold to Vincent Van Duzer the house now owned by Edward N. Baldwin. Albert Fitzgerald lived in and built the house now owned by the heirs of Edward Howe. The south side of West-st was all vacant until after 1865.
McEwen-st was not laid out until after 1865.
The houses as names, with a few
others, constituted the old
The Marquis De Chastellux,
in travelling through
The Conrad Sly mentioned above, was
a blacksmith, and helped build the great chain that was stretched across the
Isaac Dolson, in about 1827, owned and ran a grist mill on the farm now owned by George W. Hyatt. He had a dam across the creek there which flooded the water back to the Main-st bridge, forming a large pond. In dry weather he drew off the water in running the mill, leaving the mud in the bottom exposed to the hot summer sunshine, which caused a great amount of sickness. Finally, several citizens of Warwick, after the dam had been washed through by high water, bought the property and then resold it putting this provision in the deed—“that no obstruction should be placed in the creek while grass grew or water run.” Since then this village has been very healthy.