Albert Wisner Public Library
Library Mission Statement
The Albert Wisner Public Library is the community's favorite place to meet, to learn and to discover. The Library daily connects people to each other and to the world.
A public library is created for use by everyone in the community. The public library provides a place for reading, study and enrichment. All staff members have the responsibility to keep the Library as pleasant an environment for the public as possible. This includes discouraging and handling behavior that disrupts others.
Any patron not abiding by these or other rules and regulations of the Library shall be required to leave the Library premises. Library employees shall contact the Warwick Police for assistance if deemed necessary.
Any patron who violates Library rules and regulations shall be denied the privilege of access to the Library. All staff members have the right to deny access to the Library if, in their judgment, Library policies have been abused. Access to the Library may be reinstated at the Library Director’s discretion.
- Library users are expected to respect the Library and its property. Library users shall not deface or mar books, magazines, recordings or other items of the library collections nor shall they deface, mar, or in any way destroy or damage Library furnishings, walls, machines or other Library property. All Library users shall properly dispose of their trash.
- All Library materials removed from the building must be checked out. Theft or attempted theft of Library materials is illegal and may be cause for prosecution.
- Library users are expected to be dressed appropriately while on Library premises. Shirts and shoes are required while on the Library premises.
- Library users are expected to talk quietly. Excessive socializing is inappropriate and discouraged.
- Designated Quiet areas are for quiet reading and studying. Extensive, loud conversations, joint study activity and tutoring are not permitted in designated quiet areas of the Library.
- All group work must be done with respect for other users. Participants may be asked to relocate if their activity disturbs others.
- Patrons shall not interfere with the use of the Library by other patrons nor interfere with Library employees’ performance of their duties. Running, fighting, roughhousing, vulgarity or displaying any disruptive behavior is not permitted in the Library. Sleeping, stalking, littering and loitering are also not permitted.
- Smoking and the use of alcohol or illegal drugs is prohibited both in the building and on Library premises.
- Library patrons are prohibited from bringing animals, with the exception of service animals, into the Library. Animals shall be attended at all times while on Library grounds.
- Eating is prohibited in the Library, except where designated. Drinking from containers with secure tops or lids is allowed, except near Library equipment and computers.
- Personal audio systems with headphones may be used at a level which is not audible to others. Sports equipment or large audio equipment (i.e. boom boxes, skateboards, roller blades, etc.) shall not be brought into the Library.
- The Library assumes no responsibility for lost or stolen property. After 30 days all items are donated to charity.
- Parents are responsible for the safety of their children. Children under the age of 6 must be supervised at all times. The Library takes no responsibility for the safety of children left unattended.
- Parents of children attending preschool programs are required to remain in the building during the program.
- Parents are expected to be aware of the Library’s hours of operation and to pick up children prior to closing. In the event a child is left after the Library has closed, the Warwick Police may be contacted to provide supervision for the child.
- The Children’s Room is designated as space for use by children up to the age of 10 (fifth grade), by their adult caregivers, or by others in need of the children’s collection. Computers in the Children’s Room are for use by children up to the age of 10 (fifth grade). All others must use the computers in the Adult section of the Library.
- It is the responsibility of the staff of the Library to assist patrons with their information needs. It is the responsibility of parents to provide supervision for their children while in the Library or on Library grounds.
- Solicitation for any purpose is not allowed on Library property.
- Weapons of any kind are prohibited on the Library premises.
- Skateboarding and rollerblading are not permitted on the Library premises.
Cell Phone Use
Cell phone use is permitted in the Library in all areas except those designated "Quiet Study," and only when the conversation is conducted so as not to disturb others. Lengthy conversations should be conducted in the lobby or lower gallery area whenever possible. To prevent disturbance from ring tones, cell phones must be placed on "vibrate" and the sound turned off when entering the Library.
Updated and approved by the Board 2/19/2013
Board Adopted 8/18/09