Welcome to the Children's and Tween's Virtual Library Page!
Second, please note that we have created new Facebook and Instagram pages dedicated solely to children! These platforms will be your best source for, and link to, all children's library-related programs and information. Please "like" and/or follow us on Facebook: Facebook.com/AWPLKids or on Instagram: Instagram.com/awpl_kids
Imagine Your Story! Welcome to Summertime at AWPL for Children and Tweens
Summer Reading Clubs for all ages! (Get a brag tag to show that you’ve joined!)
Preschool through 2nd grade - Summer Reading BINGO:
Download here, from our e-newsletter, or stop by the Library after June 15th and get the Summer Bingo Board Reading activity sheet. Do some activities to create a Bingo, and have a parent or caregiver initial the completed squares. Whenever you can, stop by the Library and receive stickers and a prize. Make three Bingos and get a bag with prizes and a ticket to our Family Drive-In Movie Night.
Grades 3 through 5 - Summer Reading BINGO Challenge:
Download here, from our e-newsletter, or stop by the Library after June 15th and get the Summer Reading Challenge Bingo sheet. Do some reading and literacy activities to create a Bingo; have a parent or caregiver initial the completed squares. Make a BINGO and receive a backpack with some prizes and a ticket to our Family Drive-In Movie Night.
... And don't forget: Tumblebooks! TumbleBooks for children is an online library of beloved childhood classics.
Page Turners Adventures Virtual Summer Library Programs: tune in each day for some fun and laughs! Ten weeks of comedy, crafts, recipes, author interviews, guest performers, games and MORE! Posted Mondays beginning June 15 on AWPL's private Children's Facebook page. Please "like" our Facebook page - Facebook.com/AWPLKids - and also please email email@example.com to request to be added to the private group. Be sure to provide your name, library card barcode number, and best way to reach you in case of a question.
Thursday, July 16 at 6:45pm: Traveling Lantern Theatre Company: Legends & Myths from Mt. Olympus: children and adults will enjoy this whimsical and daring theatrical production set in ancient Greece. Register here to receive password to view the event. Be sure to provide an email address. The video will be available for viewing from Sunday, July 12, 8:00pm to Sunday, July 19, 8:00pm.
Saturday, July 18 at 11:00am: Imagination Express with Steve the Magic Conductor - a magical program that makes books disappear, clocks appear, and with a little imagination, fairytales come true! For families. Register online. You will be provided a YouTube link before the performance.
Thursday, July 30 at 6:45: Sciencetellers - Dragons: Return of the Ice Sorceress - Two brave villagers go on a journey to release the dragons and save the kingdom from the Ice Sorceress. Science in action! For families. Register online. The Zoom link will be posted before the event.
Thursday, August 6 at 6:45: Storycrafters - Just Imagine! Traditional and modern renditions of classic favorites: fairytales, folktales and myths. Described as “top notch” family entertainment - with a Parent Choice Award! Register online to participate via YouTube.
Fuzzy Friend Campout - Wednesday, July 15 at 5:30pm with Miss Teresa: Hear some bedtime stories, build a tent shelter or fort and tuck in your cuddly friend. You could even camp with your fuzzy friend! Make it a family campout! Register online to participate via Zoom.
Art with Miss Judy: videos will be released here and on the Children's private Facebook page.
- Week of July 12: Paint a Cat or Dog Using Watercolors. With a little help, you can paint a cat or dog with watercolor paint. Join Miss Judy for a virtual demonstration. We will supply a watercolor kit that you can pick up at the Library the week before.
- Week of July 26: Make a Collage Using Newspaper & Magazines. Don’t recycle your newspapers and magazines this week! Instead, save them to make a collage with Miss Judy.
Pet Show & Tell on Zoom - Friday, July 10 at 11:00am - introduce everyone to your pet or favorite stuffed animal. Tell us its name and how you take care of it. Hear a story about some pets. Register beginning online, and please make sure to provide an email address. You will receive a Zoom link before show time.
Talent Show - Friday, July 24 at 11:00am - can you sing, dance, play an instrument, recite a poem or do a magic trick? Sign up and show off your talents. Hear a story about performing. Register beginning June 6 online, and please make sure to provide an email address. You will receive a Zoom link before show time.
Read to A Therapy Dog! Tuesdays, July 28, August 4, August 11 (for grades K through 3 completed) - Read to Branson! Branson will be here for 3 consecutive Tuesdays this summer, via a live Zoom platform. Sign up to read and talk with Branson for 10 minutes. Please have your book handy so everyone gets their chance. Register for the specific date(s) you're interested in, making sure to provide an email address: July 28, 12:30-1:30; August 4, 12:30-1:30; August 11, 12:30-1:30. You will receive an email in advance with the Zoom link and to let you know the time of your 10-minute time slot.
Show us your creativity! - Friday, August 7 at 11:00am - bring out your inner artist! Painting, construction, sculpture -- all types of creativity. Tell us how you did it and how you feel about it. Register beginning June 6 online, and please make sure to provide an email address. You will receive a Zoom link before the show.
Register online (click program name). You will receive a Zoom link before the programs (be sure to provide an email address!)
- Tuesday, July 7 from 5:30-6:30pm - Pictionary Online: choose from 3 words, draw your word, and see if others can guess. You'll need a laptop or tablet to play.
- Tuesday, July 14 from 5:30-6:30pm - Beaded Animal Keychains: make beaded animal keychains to hang on your backpack.
- Tuesday, July 21 from 5:30-6:30pm - My Crazy Journal: writing in a journal not your thing? Try writing with your food! Interview a vegetable! Design a postage stamp! Use any kind of notebook, drawing and painting supplies.
- Tuesday, July 28 from 5:30-6:30pm - Scattergories Online: select a category and a letter. How many words can you come up with that others don’t have?
- Tuesday, August 4 from 5:30-6:30pm - Paper Mache Boxes: turn a plain box into a jewel. Decorate the box to make a special place to keep your stuff!
JUST FOR TEENS
Looking for events that are perfect for teens? Visit the Teen Page here.
Storytimes & Music
Storytimes & Music do NOT require registration. Come one, come all! All will be released weekly: below - click on the date; on the AWPL Children's private Facebook page; and in the weekly Children's Department e-newsletters (please email Teresa Vela-Hayes at firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to receive the e-newsletter.)
- Toddler Time (with Miss Stacy): July 6
- Preschool Learn & Play (with Miss Teresa): July 6
- Storytime Yoga (with Miss Karen): July 6
- Cooking Together (with Miss Teresa): July 8
- Music with Mr. Matt: July 8
Tales & Tunes with Mr. Matt - a classic tale with an accompanying song to sing along: July 6
Just for Fun: Music, Crafts and Art from Our Springtime at Home
From Mr. Matt:
- Fun Passover Song: https://youtu.be/fzqs--IcHGQ
From Miss Teresa:
- How to Make a Sheep Craft
- Make a Snake with Miss Teresa!
- How to Make an Animal Alphabet
- How to Make an Earth Day Mobile
- Helpful Hints on How to Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, based on The Story of Stuff
- How to Make a Fire Truck
- How to Make a Monster!
- How to Make a Bubble Maker!
From Miss Judy: