Following is general election information specific to New York (Orange County). The most current information will be posted on the Orange County Board of Elections website, or call (845) 360-6500 Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm.
1. Voter Registration
In order to vote in the November 3, 2020 general election, the last day to register to vote is Friday, October 9, 2020. Here are helpful links:
Call: 1-800-FOR-VOTE to request a voter application
Questions? Call Orange County Board of Elections (845) 360-6500 or the NY State Board of Elections: (518) 474-1953. New Jersey residents: please refer to the New Jersey Division of Elections website
2. Where Do I Vote? Use this NYS Polling Site Locator.
3. Absentee Voting/Voting by Mail
Absentee voting and voting by mail are the same thing. The deadline to postmark an absentee ballot application is Tuesday, October 27, 2020. Absentee ballot applications may also be obtained and filled out in person at the Orange County Board of Elections through 5pm on Monday, November 2, 2020: 75 Webster Avenue, Goshen. Check Orange County Board of Elections website for hours for absentee ballotting.
Qualifications: a person is qualified to vote by absentee ballot because of any of these reasons:
- Absent from Orange County on Election Day
- Unable to appear at polls because of temporary or permanent illness or disability, including COVID-19, or because of the risk of contracting or spreading a communicable disease, including COVID-19
- Primary caregiver of one or more individuals who are ill or physically disabled
- Resident or patient of a Veterans' Health Administration hospital
- Detained in jail awaiting Grand Jury action or confined in prison after conviction for an offense other than felony
To apply for an absentee ballot, you may:
- Call Orange County Board of Elections: (845) 360-6500 or 1-800-879-POLL with questions or to request an application be mailed to you
- Email Orange County Board of Elections: firstname.lastname@example.org to request that an application be mailed to you
- Download the Absentee Ballot Application, print and fill out the application; mail or fax it to the Board of Elections by October 27, 2020 or deliver it in person by 5pm on November 2, 2020 to: 75 Webster Avenue, Goshen, NY, 10924.
- Apply online here
Absentee ballots must be postmarked by Tuesday, November 3, 2020 and received at the Board of Elections by Tuesday, November 10, 2020. Alternately, the last day to deliver an absentee ballot in person at the Board of Elections is Tuesday, November 3, 2020.
4. Early voting in Orange County, NY: there are 7 locations county-wide where any registered voter may vote beginning Saturday, October 24, 2020 through Sunday, November 1, 2020. If you vote in person during the early voting period, you are not eligible to vote on November 3 (Election Day) nor to vote by absentee ballot.
Sites and hours are:
- City of Newburgh Activity Center - 401 Washington St.
- Cornwall Ambulance Building - 1 Clinton St.
- Warwick Town Hall - 132 Kings Highway
- Middletown Senior Center - 62-70 West Main St.
- Village of Montgomery Senior Center - 36 Bridge St.
- Port Jervis: Delaware Engine Co. - 22 Hammond St.
- Monroe Town Hall - 1465 Orange Turnpike
Early Voting Dates & Hours: Saturday 10/24: Noon-5pm; Sunday, 10/25: 10am-3pm; Monday, 10/26: Noon-8pm; Tuesday, 10/27: 7am-3pm; Wednesday, 10/28: Noon-8pm; Thursday, 10/29: 7am-3pm; Friday, 10/30: Noon-8pm; Saturday, 10/31: 10am-3pm; Sunday, 11/1: 10am-3pm.