This is a view of the main street
in Bellvale. The dirt road is what is now Route 17A and
the building on the left is the Quackenbush Meat Market,
the same as the following building:
The Quackenbush Store originally
started out as a meat market by Frank Quackenbush. This
business evolved to become the general store and location
for the Post Office. It was run by the Quackenbush family
for three generations up until 1988. This building should
not be confused with the old Burt Store. That was a separate
building that was torn down around the time this building
was moved to this spot. Look at the dirt road that was to
become what is now Rt. 17A !
Quackenbush Store in
the 1920's showing the ice cream parlor on the right.
In this photo you can
see the ice cream parlor has been removed and the
area made a permanent part of the building.
Late 1960's-early 1970's-note
the outhouse is still there
and the Post Office had not been moved to the left side
of the building yet.