Albert Wisner Public Library
Approved by the Board of Trustees, October 20, 2009
The Albert Wisner Public Library makes the Internet available as part of its continuing effort to ensure that all members of the community have the right and means to free and open access to ideas and information which are fundamental to a democracy. The Library affirms its traditional role in not censoring or monitoring use of its resources regardless of format. None of our Internet terminals are filtered.
Who is eligible?
- You are eligible to use the Internet if you have a valid RCLS library card. If you are not eligible for an RCLS card, you may request a temporary guest pass.
- Access will be by appointment in 45-minute blocks of time on a first-come, first-served basis. Additional blocks of time, up to two hours daily, may be available to patrons as the schedule allows and at the Library’s discretion.
- No more than one person may use an Internet workstation except when necessary for research purposes, and at the Library’s discretion.
- Internet reservations may be made by telephone or email (
'+'firstname.lastname@example.org' + '';
// --> ) or in person, no more than 24 hours ahead of time.
- Patrons who cannot keep scheduled appointments should call to cancel as a courtesy to others who may be waiting.
- Patrons who are more than 10 minutes late for a reservation forfeit their time.
Patrons in 12 th grade or below must satisfy the following special requirements:
- Users in grades 9-12 may use the Internet without parental approval on file.
- Users in grades 6-8 must have a signed parental agreement on file. The consent form must be signed in the presence of Library staff.
- Users in grade 5 or under must use the Internet work stations in the Children’s Room and abide by the following policies:
- Any Internet user in the Children’s Room must have a signed parental agreement on file. The agreement must be signed in the presence of Library staff.
- The Internet terminals in the Children’s Room are not filtered. It is the sole responsibility of the parent/guardian to monitor their child’s Internet use.
- The Internet terminals in the Children’s Room are reserved for the use of children in grade 5 or under. All others should use the computers located on the main level.
- Parents/guardians must be present to assist with using the computer and observing the Library’s Internet policy.
- Users will need a library card or a guest pass to log on.
- Library personnel are available for basic assistance. Users who desire more extensive help may schedule a specific appointment at the Help Desk.
- Users should allow themselves ample time at the end of their session to print or save their work.
- Copies are .15 per page for black & white copies and .25 per page for color copies.
- Users may not use their own software, hardware or peripherals except wireless devices, and personal memory drives.
- Users may not download or save files to the computer’s hard drive.
- Computer settings and configurations may not be changed.
- Due to considerations of privacy and system management, the functions of ftp (file transfer) and software downloading are not available. Information, text or other programs available on the Internet may be downloaded and/or printed from the Internet through the Library’s computers.
- As with all formats of information, patrons must respect copyright laws and licensing agreements, and abide by general rules of acceptable Internet conduct. Acts or behavior which may jeopardize the Library’s Internet account or access to resources will result in revocation of Internet privileges.
The Internet changes daily. Information is not often verifiable as accurate, and patrons should be aware that errors and intentional misinformation do occur on the Web. The Library is not responsible for the accuracy of information gathered on the Internet.
Due to the emerging nature of these services, policies are subject to change without notice and at the Library’s discretion. The Albert Wisner Public Library offers Internet access for information gathering only. It is strictly prohibited to use the Internet for illegal or criminal purposes. Any unauthorized use will result in immediate suspension of Internet access. Users agree to comply with all federal, state and local laws, including those related to obscenity, pornography or delivery to minors material deemed harmful to them. Violaters will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Users understand that Internet information may contain both written and pictorial information offensive to themselves or to others.