Typically, the Library's annual vote serves two purposes: first, for school district residents to approve any requested increase in public funding (tax support) for the Library's operating budget, and second, to elect Trustees to fill any expired or open Trustee positions.
Because of the economic impact of Covid-19 on the community, the Library Board will not request an increase in public funding to support the Library's 2021-2022 operating budget. (The Board made the same decision in 2020.) Public funding of the Library will remain at the level last approved by voters in April 2019. The Library Board will hold an information meeting on the proposed 2021-2022 operating budget on Tuesday, May 4, 2021 at 7:00pm at the Library. A link to current and proposed budgets is below.
While the Library's funding is not subject to a vote this year, there are two Library Trustee positions open. One is for a full five-year term, and the other is to complete an unexpired term that ends in three years. All registered voters of the Warwick Valley Central School District (WVCSD) are eligible to vote on these two Trustee positions on Tuesday, May 18, 2021 from 7:00am-9:00pm, prevailing time, concurrently with the WVCSD budget vote. Voting will be in person at the normal school voting locations, not at the Library:
- In the First School Election District (Pine Island District) - voting will be held at Pine Island Fire House: 684 County Rte. 1, Pine Island, NY
- In the Second School Election District (Village District) - voting will be held at the Dorothy C. Wilson Education Center in the Middle School addition: 225 West St. Extension, Warwick, NY
- In the Third School Election District (Kings District) - voting will be held at Kings Elementary School: 199 Kings Highway, Warwick, NY
NOTE: only residents of the WVCSD pay taxes in support of Albert Wisner Public Library. As such, only registered voters who reside in the WVCSD are eligible to vote in the Trustee election.
Standing for election to the two open Trustee positions are Mary Berrigan and Dr. Wayne Rossi. Mary is a longtime Warwick resident, retired third grade teacher and speech therapist who actively volunteers in the Friends of the Library, the Warwick Historical Society and the Warwick Valley Gardeners club. She is also involved with the Warwick migrant community, remotely tutoring children at the Alamo. She looks forward to taking her role at the Library to a new level. Dr. Wayne Rossi has served on the AWPL Board of Trustees for many years, most recently as the Board's President, supporting and guiding the development of AWPL into the Best Small Library in America (2016).
Current FY 2020-2021 and Estimated 2021-2022 Tax Rates*/Thousand for Library Operating Levy
Current rates FY 2020-2021:
- Warwick: $4.07/$1,000
- Chester: $0.97/$1,000
Estimated** rates FY 2021-2022:
- Warwick: $4.07/$1,000
- Chester: $0.97/$1,000
* Estimated tax rates are based on current property assessment values and equalization rates. There are different rates for Warwick and Chester homes in the WVCSD, because homes are assessed differently in the two towns. Warwick homes typically are assessed at less than 25% of their actual market value. Chester homes are assessed closer to actual market value. In both areas, library tax rates are based on assessed value, not market value.
** Estimates for FY 2021-2022 reflect the Library Board's decision not to seek increased funding.
How To Figure your Library Tax for the Proposed 2021-2022 Library Operating Levy
Based on the estimated 2021-2022 tax rates, a family with a home in Warwick assessed at $50,000 would pay a library operating tax of $203.50, or no change from the prior year. A family with a home in Chester assessed at $200,000 would pay a library operating tax of $194.00. Here are two examples:
- If the assessed value of your home in Warwick is $50,000, you would divide that number by 1,000. The result is 50, and 50 multiplied by $4.07 is $203.50. Your 2021-2022 tax for the operating expenses of the Library would be $203.50.
- If the assessed value of your home in Chester is $200,000, you would divide that number by 1,000. The result is 200, and 200 multiplied by $0.97 is $194.00. Your 2021-2022 tax for the operating expenses of the Library would be $194.00.
Residents of the WVCSD who are registered to vote may participate in the 2021 Library Trustee election. Voter registration is held at the WVCSD District Office at West St. Extension in Warwick from 9:00am-4:00pm, Monday through Friday, excluding any school district holidays, through Friday, April 9, 2021.
Absentee Ballot Information
Absentee ballot applications (click here to download and print, OR obtain an application from the WVCSD District Office) must be submitted directly to the WVCSD District Office at least seven (7) days before the May 18, 2021 vote (if the ballot is to be mailed to the voter) or one day before the vote (if the ballot is to be delivered personally to the voter.) A list of all people who have requested an absentee ballot is available for inspection at the WVCSD District Office five days prior to the vote, and shall be posted at the polling locations during the hours of the vote.